Thursday, August 25, 2011

Groceries, Groceries, Groceries!!!

I feel like all I do is grocery shop.  I have gone to the grocery store every day that we have been in Maastricht!  This can be attributed to a few factors.  People here do not make stock up shopping trips once a week like in the US but rather go every couple days. The packages are smaller, food does not last as long (less preservatives?) and you can only buy as much as you can carry home or fit on your bike.  You have to bring your own reusable shopping bags, there are no bags or baggers, the stores are a lot smaller with less variety and the majority of the products are private (store) label.  There are also tons of markets. A daily market with fresh produce, a large general market (similar to the farmer's market in Mpls) on Wednesdays and Fridays, an organic market on Thursday's (which I am going to check out today) a Fish market on Friday's, an antique & flea market and lastly there is suppose to be an amazing Christmas market in December.
I had to make a meal rotation/meal plan as I was ending up with a hodge podge of food and no meals.  I am making the same types of meals as I did at home but hope to expand the rotation with some different influences as we travel and try new cuisine.  So far I have made baked chicken with rosemary garlic roasted potatoes and a mixed green salad with apple & chive, curry chicken with basmati rice and brussels sprouts, salmon with caprese salad, mediterranean penne pasta (spinach, sundried tomato, kalamata olive, etc) with salad and of course pizza (Jamie's favorite).  For the rest of the week we are having chicken fajitas with guacamole & chips and turkey burgers with sweet potato fries (my fav!).

We have been here 1 week and 2 days but it feels like a lot longer.  I finally have us all settled into the house, have scrubbed it top to bottom, washed and organized everything and we got new drapes and some decorations.  I naturally get up around 7am now (I must say a regular 8 hours of sleep is amazing!!).  It is 8am here now (1am at home) and I have already put away laundry from yesterday, started another load of laundry, made the beds, made coffee and breakfast for both of us, made Jamie's lunch, cleaned the kitchen and ready to go to the gym.  I have been to the fitness center a couple times and have my first yoga lesson at the yoga studio tomorrow (can't wait!).  I am also going to be taking Dutch language lessons and hopefully another class of sorts (photography, business or culinary classes).   Jamie started work this week and seems to really like it.  It sounds like he has a great team and boss and will be doing some traveling for his job here.  I will be joining him and exploring the cities while he's at work.  I think the first trips will be Switzerland, Italy and Germany.  Can't wait to show you all the places we visit!
Bye for now . . hope everyone is doing well at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment